Like several other laptop errors, Runtime error is also an annoying and frustrating experience for computer users encounters during execution of a program. The term ‘Runtime Error’ is often used in contrast to several other types of program errors such as compile time errors and syntax errors. It is basically a software or hardware issue that prevents a programs from working properly. This error unlike as that of stop errors do not causes Windows or a program to stop working. Actually whenever a problem arises which the software cannot resolve, at that instant of time the software itself throws a runtime error which simply means that ‘while I was running I had a problem I could not resolve’. Because of the occurrence of this error, it becomes a bit hectic for the users to use PC or laptop in an efficient manner.
Several reasons liable behind the occurrence of Runtime Error are:
- Poor Programming – Poor programming practices is one of the most vital responsible for the occurrence of runtime error. In a case if the engineer loads his/her software with memory leaks, one can receive multiple runtime errors within a user session.
- Aging or damaged software – It has been found that up to a large degree software depends on the workability of peripherals in the computer. So, in this situation events such as older computer, hard drives being older than two years, electrical storm, air cooling is out, decrement in the service leads the software to throw runtime error.
- Other software – Execution of the program not being written properly on the PC causes harmful affects to several other running on the PC. Actually in a Windows environment things are shared and in a case if a rogue application steps into the arena then there are high chances for the occurrence of runtime error to occur. In this situation it is suggested to shut down all other applications, it can fix the runtime error.
- Vicious virus attack – Some program runs in the background undetected and can leads to the generation of runtime error. Though it is not the leading cause of a runtime error, but can still lead to one. Thus it is suggested to scan the system on a regular basis with certain sort of antivirus programs.
Due to the occurrence of all the above discussed scenarios runtime error generates. Generally these runtime errors are quite difficult to diagnose since they are of different types. So here distinct types of errors with appropriate solution has been described. It is suggested to follow the below discussed steps regarding finding and fixing all Runtime Errors.
Confliction with TSR or other running program
In a case if one is facing a Runtime Error message while in Windows then it is suggested to ensure that the issue is not being caused by a third-party program or TSR via end tasking all open programs.
If after ‘end tasking’ still the problem persists under Windows, it is strongly recommended to check autoexec.bat and config.sys for any loaded program which might causing issue. If yes, then temporarily disable that program via renaming the files. Considering that purpose go through the below discussed information:
>>Boot to an MS-DOS prompt
>>At the MS-DOS prompt, type:
cd\ <press enter>
ren autoexec.bat autoexec.ch <press enter>
ren config.sys config.ch <press enter>
>> After the completion of the procedure, reboot the PC.
Source – youtube.com
In a case if the issue persists the program causing the Runtime Error might have issues. In this situation it is advised to verify through the developer’s website that all the updates or patches which might be available have been downloaded and applied and if no patches or updates are available, it is advised to uninstall and reinstall the program which is causing issue. Apart from this if the runtime issue is in the operating system, reinstall the operating system.
Virus or malware do have potential of tampering with the system settings or memory leading to Runtime Error. So, it is advised to always ensure that the current running virus protection program on the PC do have the latest updated patch or .dat file or in a case if one do not have a computer virus protection it is suggested to purchase ans scan the computer system hard drive.
Add-on, plug-in or other extra software
Installation of several other add-ons, plug-ins or other extra software leads to the generation of runtime error in the laptop. So, in a case if one do have any additional software related with the program causing the error, it is suggested to update it or uninstall it.
If after following all the above mentioned recommendation, the issue still do not get resolved then there are high chances that the issue is associated with hardware or memory. In this situation it is suggested to first of all contact the developer of the program generating the issue for any possible solutions. If yet no solutions are found contact the computer or motherboard manufacturer regarding additional recommendations or service.
Generation of Runtime error while loading it in the Visual C++ runtime library
In this scenario it is advised to firstly go through the error message and identify the program or executable which is generating error. To fix this issue, Internet Explorer will be used.
Reset Internet Explorer
The below discussed instructions are applicable for all the version of Windows OS
- First of all launch the Internet Explorer
- Then click on the Tools menu.
- After that select Internet Options from the menu. After that a new window will open.
- Click on the Advanced tab.
- In the next step click the Reset button. Another window will open.
- Then check the box next to Delete personal settings. Here one would lose saved browsing history, saved password etc but still it has to be done since it is necessary for these troubleshooting steps.
- After that click the Reset button. Then another window will open showing progress of the requested action. Here when finished, click ‘Close’.
Disable Error Messages
If after resetting the Internet Explorer, one is still receiving the error messages, then it is recommended to disable debug error messages in Internet Options. Considering that purpose implement the below discussed steps:
- Launch Internet Explorer
- Then click on the Tools menu
- After that select Internet Options from the menu. A new window will open.
- In the next step click on the Advanced tab.
- Then check the boxes right next to Disable script debuggin (Internet Explorer) and Disable script debugging (Other).
Re-Install Runtime Libraries
If the runtime error still persists, it is advised to uninstall and -re-install the offending files for the erroneous runtime. Also it is suggested to refer back to the original error message and identify the runtime library in the question. For this implement the below mentioned instructions:
- First of all press the Windows key and the R key at the same time to open the Run prompt.
- Then type into the Run prompt: appwiz.cpl
- After that press Enter. Then the Add/Remoe program control panel snap-in will open in a new window.
- In the next step find all the installations associated to the Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime and uninstall them one by one. In this situation one may have to restart the PC between uninstallations. Note: Always follow the non-screen instructions in the software uninstallers.
- Finally at last download and re-install the previously removed runtime libraries.
So, if you are encountering any kind of Runtime Error, go through this article as here we have tried to cover almost every type of Runtime Error, this causes and their solution.